Hello,

for our application I wanted to include additional information in the
logging messages. Usually, LoggingEvents are created by Loggers
which in turn are created by a LoggerFactory. Thus, to control this
creation sequence I derived my own LoggerFactory and Logger.
Unfortunately, the DOMConfigurator parses the categoryFactory
tag but does not use it (like the PropertyConfigurator does).
I've attached a modified DOMConfigurator that should solve this
problem but requires that the DefaultCategoryFactory and its
constructor are public. (note: the PropertyConfigurator can
access the package-visible DefaultCategoryFactory).
Moreover, I adjusted the log4j.dtd to include a loggerFactory tag
with the same capabilities as the categoryFactory and made the
logger-tag functionally constistent with the category tag (both use
the same parsing routine in the DOMConfigurator anyway but as
I understand using the logger tags is the preferred way because
categories are deprecated).
Please feel free to comment on the approach taken and hopefully
the development team takes my modification as a starting point for
solves the problem in future releases. This would be great because
it would free us from future merges and maintaining our own code
base.

Best regards,
Wolfram