That is probably what Dennis was looking for. But I feel it exactly
shows my point; all but the debug level are well defined, with the debug
level being the big-ol'-bucket-of... ahhh. Yes. Because it includes
"critical method" info, but also "contents of
resultsets...parameters...performance...".

Suppose you need to find out why an application is taking a left turn
instead of the expected right turn. It's not a program error, or
warning, nor does it inform you each time it takes a left. So all you
have, is turning on debug and get overloaded with resultsets, and
variables and stuff, when you have no idea what class to look in at that
time.

Hence my suggestion for splitting up debug in two levels: trace (follow
the program logic) and debug (explain the program logic). It's all about
not mixing different scopes of information. But definitions like "fine",
"finer", "finest" is totally BS: what goes where?

In that line of reasoning, combined with your text, I have one more
thought: you also include performance information in the debug level,
and that made me think.

Usually when I'm all done with an application, and it works ok, AND I
have some time left or spare time, I'm wondering if I can improve stuff
somewhere. Now having performance info is great, but do I want it to be
cluttered with debug info? So: would having a totally separate (not
hierachically) category "performance" be interesting? Or is
performancing something that is done between info and trace? IMHO, it
does not hurt having performance info while tracing, so hierachically
would be ok.

So my current favorite ;-)
FATAL
ERROR
WARN
INFO
PERFORMANCE
TRACE
DEBUG

Sorry for addressing a subject that is so difficult to agree upon... On
the other hand, a talk about levels or contexts of logging information
might be educational. Love to hear reactions.

Tom

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
Did you mean this thread?