For the application I am working on, I receive log messages from
multiple machines.  It would be handy to include a new PatternLayout
character sequence %h (or %H or %a) to include the hostname that
generated the trap.  %h{1} would return the hostname without the domain.

Also, being able to reference system properties in the PatternLayout
would be handy, such as %j{java.version} or %j{instance.id} in my case.
Being able to reference system properties in general (for turning off
appenders) seems like a good idea.

I could easily add this feature myself to a private branch, but I figure
it's probably something better to be made available to all.  I can write
the patch, if that's easier.