Howdy,
Log4j doesn't (and can't, even if it wanted to) set umask for the user.

What I would is write a little unix script to invoke your application,
but before invoking it do umask -S to verify the umask settings.  The 02
your sysadmin set up is good.

Since you're logging in as user tomcat, I assume you're running tomcat.
Tomcat also doesn't (and cat) set umask for the user.

I just checked, by the way, and I have the same behavior as you ;)
Solaris 9, JDK 1.4.2, umask 02, log4j 1.2.8 on tomcat 4.1.27, and the
log file is created as -rw-r--r--.  Strange, I don't have an answer.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics