> Log4j searches the whole classpath, so if I put a properties file in
> classes, it is found indeed (this is what I've done as a workaround).
> The thing is, the classes directory in my webapp is also part of the
> classpath, and it should have found the file there...

I don't think so.  There is more than one classloader involved, and so
more than one classpath.  For each webapp, Tomcat gathers up all the
necessary stuff from WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib plus anything in
'common' and that's the classpath for that particular webapp.

Tomcat itself, the server, has its own classpath.  That classloader
doesn't know or care about any of the webapps.  So I'm fairly certain
you have to put the .properties file in the 'server' section to match
the log4j.jar file in server/lib.

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.