From: Paul Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:02 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: I am not getting stack trace from
logger.error("error",e)?

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 10:45, Robert Augustyn wrote:

> Hi Ceki,

> I am getting just one line like:

> Java.NullPointerException:

This maybe only a very slight possibility, but I have
seen exactly what

you are describing in our production environment when
we are using the

-server option under the Sun 1.4.2 JDK under Linux (no
JBoss though).

Just a single line with no more information.

See this bug:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4761344.html

They say it is fixed in 1.4.2, and while it does not
happen with the

frequency it used to, it's one to look out for.  Not
using the -server

option seems to help, although you lose some
performance there.

cheers,

Paul Smith

[EMAIL PROTECTED]