Problem 1: I think we'll need to see the code where you initialise the
logger, and where you do the actual logging.  Storing a local reference
to the logger is fine, and the recommended practice.  If you make it
static, even better, I am not sure why you would want the GC to collect
it.

Problem 2: I have seen this message myself and might be due to some code
logging at the same time as the new properties are being applied.  If
the configuration effectively changes an appenders configuration, log4j
must stop/close the old appender before creating a new instance with the
new config.

Paul