Hi Yoav,

To figure out how much memory is used by log4j, I wrote a small test application, creating a window frame, contains a scroll table, some labels and several Buttons connected with listeners etc.
The log4j I used with two appenders: console and rolling file, both with different pattern layout.

I’ve build three different versions of this test application,
1)      naked,
2)      with System.out.println(),
3)      with log4j – one logger.info() replaces one println(),

I calculated the number of inserted code lines versus the amount and ratio of bytes have increased the class files.

Here are the results of my investigations:

Test Application:       1) naked        2) println()    3) logging()
total Code lines:       420             435             440
print/log Code lines:   0               15              20
total class bytes:      17118           18054           18892
code line ratio:        -               3,4 %           4,5 %
class byte ratio:       -               5,5 %           10,4 %

Conclusion:
Replacing legacy System.out.println() by logging with log4j doubles the amount of memory used in addition to a naked (non traced) application.
In other words, if one application uses 10 % of its code for System.out.println(), its amount in bytes will increase 10 % when replaced by log4j.

So if we were stingy logging, it wouldn’t burst our system.
But the library log4j-1.2.8.jar could be too big for us.
Is it possible to simply remove unused classes - as for instance xml - from the library to slim it?

Thanks,
Ralf

Shapira, Yoav schrieb:
Hi,
I don't know, but it wouldn't be difficult to track with a profiler, and
then please post the results to the list as I'm sure others are curious
;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics