I want to format and modify my log4j output prior to sending to a
RollingFileAppender.

If there were functionality that would allow me to easily apply a PatternLayout
prior to sending to a RollingFileAppender that would be ideal.

I can insert an AsyncAppender before my RollingFileAppender, but AsyncAppender
does not take a PatternLayout parameter so it doesn't help.

In fact, the only two appenders that take PatternLayout arguments are the
*FileAppender's and ConsoleAppender.

Is there a simple way to decorate my output with a PatternLayout (or some
similar functionality) prior to its arrival in a RollingFileAppender?

Thanks in advance,

Frank