Where did you put the log4j.xml file? Is it in WEB-INF/classes or is it somewhere like CATALINA_HOME/common/classes? If the latter and log4j.jar is in common/lib, then this is exactly the behavior one would expect. Make sure you put log4j.xml in WEB-INF/classes and log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib of each and every webapp.

Jake