Yes, I confirm I am using Log4j 1.3 ... my web app has log4j1.3alpha jar in the lib
folder. In addition, Log4j 1.3 outputs new logging into the stdout that is not present
in 1.2.8 and finally, if I use an older commons-logging jar tomcat fails to load web
applications because it _is_ using log4j.

thanks, Allistair