At 05:02 PM 2/12/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I have updated my Tomcat and Log4J tips to document how to use Log4J version
>1.3 as a daily rolling log file with Tomcat 5.x. The URL is:
>
>       http://www.minaret.biz/tips/log4j.html

That should be very helpful in getting people up to speed with 1.3.  Thanks!

>The new features in Log4J 1.3 will make the DatedFileAppender I wrote for
>version 1.2 obsolete ( http://minaret.biz/tips/datedFileAppender.html ).
>Great work everyone!
>
>There does not appear to be a way to set the internal logging level of Log4J
>1.3 in a configuration file. There is a way to set debug mode and to turn
>off all error messages but I can't stop the INFO messages that are filling
>up my "catalina.out" file without turning off error messages as well.

Well, actually, Log4j uses itself for logging (well, UGLI, but Log4j implements UGLI). As such, if you want to turn off logging for Log4j, then do it in your config file....

    <logger name="org.apache.log4j">
        <level value="OFF"/>
    </logger>

Note that LogLog is currently being used to output some extra stuff temporarily (at least it was the last source I built). This will be removed before 1.3 final, so any stuff that isn't getting turned off by the above config in the 1.3 alpha/beta releases, will certainly be turned off in 1.3 final.

>Perhaps I'm missing something here. If not, what would be ideal would be to
>replace the "debug" attribute in the Log4J configuration file with an
>attribute that sets the internal log level for Log4J to whatever level you
>like. The INFO messages are interesting for a little while but once
>everything is working, I would rather not see them.

It's arguable. Doing it using the <logger> is natural,. but since Log4j logging is a special case, an "internal" attribute (or some such name) might be good to have as an alias to <logger name="org.apache.log4j">.

Jake