Thank you for the very prompt and informative replies. They have been
very helpful indeed and pointed me towards a few other things to try.

--- Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Is this log4j 1.2 or 1.3?

I was using log4j 1.2.9. I followed your suggestion and went ahead to
try 1.3-alpha6, and tried a similar situation with a FileAppender. That
seemed to resolve the problem. Thank you!

--- Curt Arnold wrote:
> Were you seeing a deadlock on the logging within the renderers or some
> other issue?

What I was getting under 1.2.9 was output not formatted correctly by the
PatternLayout. The log call inside the renderer appeared as expected,
but the log call that invoked the renderer lost its formatting:

2005-02-24 15:39:31,229 DEBUG - a string logged by the renderer itself
The message that used the renderer (no %d %p items here)

That no longer happens under 1.3. In addition, log4j-1.2.9 caught an
IOException for "stream closed" on a couple of rare occassions while
inside the RollingFileAppender, when the 'inner' call caused a rollover.
I have to get my configuration moved over to XML before I can test for
that issue under 1.3.

--- James Stauffer wrote:
> I encountered a similar problem and my code was endlessly recursive.

Although 1.3 appears to fix the formatting issue, it still sounds like
I'm getting away with something I really shouldn't be doing -
helpers.LogLog makes it quite clear it's something not to do. Now I know
what re-entrancy can do, I should be able to recognize and avoid it next
time.

Thank you all for all your help.

Chris Nash
Lexmark International, Inc.