On Mar 3, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Harper, Allen (AHARPER) wrote:
I have added the FallbackErrorHandler in my XML config for failover if
the JDBC appender fails.

The JDBC appender is under control of the ASYNC appender.

In my test I deliberately shutdown MySQL to cause DB access failure.
FallbackErrorHandler does pick up on the failure and attempts to switch
over. Unfortunately in the error routine when the following line is
called the thread locks indefinitely. I can't seem to even step into it.

l.removeAppender(primary);

Has anyone else run into this problem? Below is my XML config for
review. I urgently need this resolved and would appreciate any help.

FallbackErrorHandler has been removed from the log4j CVS due to reliability issues and JDBCAppender has been deprecated in favor of DBAppender. Likely your best approach (assuming that you need to work with 1.2.x) would be to extend JDBCAppender and implement whatever fallback behavior you need there.