On Mar 15, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Jason Roscoe wrote:

We are using log4j 1.3 Alpha 3, so what all will I need to do?

I was hoping the analysis would get you off and running by yourself.

You have to choose an option:

Upgrade the the CVS HEAD and remove the ".rolling" from the classname.
Configure the new, more generic, log4j 1.3 RFA.

Unfortunately, I could not find an appropriate sample for the latter in the test input files and wanted to avoid trying to mock up something freehand. I don't believe the new RFA can be configured using an properties file, since you have to configure nested objects, a TriggeringPolicy (to determine when to change files) and RollingPolicy (to determine what the file names are).

Something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration>

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j='http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j'>

<appender name="R" class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
<rollingPolicy class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy">
<param name="minIndex" value="1"/>
<param name="maxIndex" value="1"/>
<param name="activeFileName" value="bouncebacks.log"/>
<param name="fileNamePattern" value="bouncebacks.log.%i"/>
</rollingPolicy>

<triggeringPolicy class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
<param name="maxFileSize" value="100KB"/>
</triggeringPolicy>

  </appender>

</log4j:configuration>