I have a Weblogic 8.1 application server, containing multiple EAR
applications, made up of stateless session beans.

The server is supposed to have one logger configured, with log4j.jar on
the server's classpath and the config file residing on the disc rather
than in the ear files.

The problem we are seeing is that some of the Log4J log messages are
going to STDERR. We route STDERR to a log file, which grows very large
over time because of the log4j messages. However, only some of the Log4J
messages go to STDERR, some of them do not.

If we try restarting the server without initializing Log4J, we see two
error messages saying log4J was not properly configured. This leads me
to believe that two loggers are being instantiated, when only one is
expected. We instantiate Log4J with a startup class, and the jar file is
not in any of our EAR files. So it is not clear where the second
instance is being initialized. If we take log4j.jar off of the
classpath, it does not work, so it's not coming from weblogic.jar.

Any ideas?

-Jason