On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 21:39 +0100, Andy McBride wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Are you referring to:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-user&m=111401761531451&w=2
>
> If so it appears that you are trying to use the PatternLayout class to
> render a custom format xml document?

Yes, I've a nasty habit of using XML tools on things like this :-)

> The XMLLayout class pointed out by Hakan, renders log events as xml
> conforming to the log4j.dtd.
.... I thought that was for the configuration file, not the output
of the logger.
  Now I am confused.
>  Use of this does not require you to have xml
> markup in the config file (.properties or.xml) as its format is fixed

(I'm less keen on that, I like the configurability of log4j :-)

> If I wanted a custom xml representation of log events, I would consider
> subclassing XMLLayout and overriding the format(Writer output, LoggingEvent
> event) method, or do you have other requirements?

.... I don't know yet Andy, since I haven't come across a way of
getting XML output from log4j.
 (and I'm having trouble parsing the above sentence! I can hack up
  tomcat pages, java tools, but that sounds like hard sums!
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/xml/XMLLayout.html

Is that it? (Note that the link to the log4j.dtd is 404)
How do I select XML output....
  I'll go do some digging.

Thanks Andy.

regards DaveP