The thing that confused me was that it seemed like he was saying that there were two physically separate instances of JBoss being started up. That is, each in their own JVM. If that were the case, then this issue would be a bit perplexing. If it is all, ultimately running under a single JBoss instance, then your explanation makes sense.

I wouldn't say that JBoss needs internal rework to get application-separated logging working, though. If the repository selector hasn't already been set, it can be set once by any application. If it has, then JBoss already has the concept in mind, and they must provide some sort of hook-in to be able to configure the repository selector.

Jake