Problem solved, removed the spaces when defining the appenders:
log4j.rootCategory=ERROR,J_CHAINSAW,T_CHAINSAW,A_CHAINSAW

Jeff

Jeff Longland wrote:
The other day I setup three socket appenders on the root category:

log4j.rootCategory=ERROR, J_CHAINSAW, T_CHAINSAW, A_CHAINSAW

T_CHAINSAW and A_CHAINSAW were unavailable at the time, but J_CHAINSAW was listening. That said, J_CHAINSAW didn't receive any log events. When I removed T_CHAINSAW and A_CHAINSAW from the root category, log events began to flow again to JCHAINSAW.

Is this normal behaviour? Is the problem with multiple socket appenders on the root category, or the fact they were unavailable? Or should I look at using a sockethubappender instead?

Thanks,
Jeff