Getting Tomcat 5.0.28 to use Log4j can be a bit of a feat.  Tomcat uses
commons-logging.  I can't remember all the details, but I think getting
Tomcat's commons-logging to use Log4j as its logging implementation requires
changing out the commons-logging-api.jar that is loaded in the bootstrap
process to use commons-logging.jar which actually includes the Log4j adapter.
I imagine, then, you'd also have to put Log4j in the bootstrap classpath along
with commons-logging.  5.5 is much more friendly about this.  You just drop
commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar into common/lib and log4j.xml into
common/classes and it just works.  If you continue to have problems, I would
search the Tomcat-user list for details on getting Tomcat-5.0.xx to use Log4j.
I haven't used 5.0.xx for ages so I my help is only as good as my memory.

Jake