Thanks for the information, Curt. And I was not being impatient or rude...but
if you consider me so then I am sorry.

Thank you,
Techie Jr.

Curt Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jun 30, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Tech Apprentice wrote:

> Hello Ceki:
>
> Please help me with the problem of DailyRollingFileApender. Why do
> I get the following error in stdout.log in Tomcat5.0 while using
> log4j:
>
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:/Tomcat5.0/logs/
> AphroditeTracer.log] to [C:/Tomcat5.0/logs/AphroditeTracer.log.
> 2005-06-30-10-53].
>
> My old log file is replaced with a new one...bu the old one is not
> backed up the way it should....I am at my wit's end and I need a
> solution for this problem very urgently which would greatly help me
> to hold my job here :)
>
> Sorry for bothering you but I did not get any response from the
> mailing list and you seem to be the most knowledgeable one here so....

Are you bothered that you didn't get a response within 45 minutes
from a group of people who are volunteering to help you? Everybody
here tries to be helpful, but we've got other jobs and occasionally
need to sleep. Given that Ceki lives is in Europe and it is likely
fairly late at night, you would be very lucky to get a response at
this time of day from him within your time frame. I personally
running very late on my list of things to do today, so I can't really
investigate the issue at this time. Maybe someone else will but way
you asked would tend to discourage people from helping you.

One of the big platform differences between Windows and the Unixes is
that Windows does not allow renaming a file while it is open. So the
most likely cause of a rename failure is that the file is open. If
only one DailyRollingFileAppender instance is working on
AphroditeTracer.log, then it should close the file before attempting
to rename it. However, it is very easy in Tomcat deployments to
inadvertently have multiple independent instances log4j active at the
same time. If multiple instances of log4j are all using the same
configuration file and they all are trying to write to
AphroditeTracer.log, then none of them will be successful in renaming
the file. Maybe if you reread the earlier threads, they might make
more sense.

To rephrase, I think it is likely there is not a problem with your
log4j.xml file except that you that one configuration in multiple web
applications at the same time and each instance of log4j expects that
it has exclusive access to the log files.