Hi,

In log4J, if I change the configuration i.e. increase/decrease the
level of a particular logger or add more appenders/categories in the
config file, then do I have to restart the web server for that setting
to take effect.

What I understand from the documentation is that if I use
DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch(<configFileName>, <timeInMilliSec>)
then I don't have to restart the server. Is this the only way to
change the logging configuration during run time or there are some
other ways also? If you use this method, then a thread is launched
which continously monitors the config file changes. Is this technique
has some serious performance overhead and therefore not preffered in
production enviornment?

What do people generally prefer - use this method OR simply use
DOMConfigurator.configure(fileName) and restart the server after
changing the config file?

Thanks
Deep