Either build from source or wait for the next release.  The development
direction for Log4j-1.3 had been to accept incompatibilities between 1.2.xx and
1.3.  That changed since alpha6 and a lot was done to make it generally
compatible with 1.2.xx.  alpha7 should be out in the not to distant future,
although I'm not 100% sure when.  I suggest just building from source or using
1.2.12 until 1.3 stabilizes.

Jake