Quoting Scott Deboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> It looks like the logfilepatternreceiver (non-vfs version) isn't in the
> webstart-launchable version.

Are you sure about that?  I've used the non-vfs version just fine, and I use
Chainsaw via WebStart.  In fact, if you look at the event log for Chainsaw
startup that I sent you, you will see that Chainsaw reports detection of the
LogFilePatternReceiver.  So, I think you must be mistaken here.  More below...

> Scott

When you say "currently", do you foresee a way to do it with a coding change,
just not with the code the way it currently is?

> I almost had it working by adding vfs and commons logging to jre/lib/ext but
> commons logging was looking for log4j and I couldn't override that.

Yes, commons-logging more than a bit annoying.  Plus, I'd never want to put this
stuff in jre/lib/ext.  I wonder if it would be advisable to put the VFS plugin
in a separate jar so that it can be added to the "plugins" directory along with
all the other VFS dependencies in the case that a user wants to use VFS.  I
think it should be a goal to make the webstart version provide exactly the same
behavior as the standalone version.  Do you think this is doable?

Jake

> Scott

org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.activateOptions(VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.java:136)
> >     at org.apache.log4j.joran.action.PluginAction.end(PluginAction.java:88)
> >     at
> > org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.Interpreter.callEndAction(Interpreter.java:274)
> >     at
> > org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:155)
> >     at

org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument$EndElementEvent.replay(JoranDocument.java:206)
> >     at
> > org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument.replay(JoranDocument.java:113)
> >     at

org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator.doConfigure(JoranConfigurator.java:170)
> >     at

org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator.doConfigure(JoranConfigurator.java:89)
> >     at

org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.loadConfigurationUsingPluginClassLoader(LogUI.java:1846)