I use WinXP, and I've never seen any message about the "Tomcat Native library",
so you'll have to ping the tomcat-user list for info on that.

I'm not sure about the SysLogAppender either.  I've never used it.  Doesn't it
require a native (C++) library to be installed?  Try something slightly less
exotic like a ConsoleAppender and and FileAppender.  It looks like Log4j is
generally working so you are getting past your previous issues.  The other
issues here seem unrelated to your original problem.  You can treat that as
good or bad news depending on your point of vew.

Hopefully someone else here can provide information on the SysLogApender issue
you are running into.

Jake