The problem has something to do with the app server and the java security settings. It seems to be log4j that triggers it.

The error I was getting was about propertyfile permissions. I got it when i uncommented the SMTPAppender. Why that appender, i don't know.

This is what I added to the server.policy file in the app server to get rid of that problem:

grant {
   permission java.util.PropertyPermission "*", "read,write";
};

The other problem relates to RollingFileAppender and deleting the last file. That issue is still outstanding. I'll try and post the error message when i get it but i think by default, log4j (or any jar) cannot delete files on the OS.

Cheers

James Stauffer wrote:

I have not had any problems with this.  Please give more details on
your environment.  Are you use the user that runs the app server has
the correct OS permissions?