From: Merin Shaji [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 5:04 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: JDBC Appender

Suneel,

Can I change the configuration in log4j.xml and achieve this without
changing my classes?
The jdbc appender in my log4j.xml is:

<appender name="SystemJdbcAppender" class="
org.apache.log4j.jdbcplus.JDBCAppender">
<param name="url" value="jdbc:oracle:thin:@172.20.20.51:1521:orcl"/>

<param name="dbclass" value="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"/>

<param name="username" value="test123"/>

<param name="password" value="test123"/>

<param name="sql" value="INSERT INTO LOGSTABLE (id, prio, cat, thread, msg,
throwable, the_timestamp, created_by) VALUES (@INC@, '@PRIO@', '@CAT@',
'@THREAD@', '@MSG@', '@THROWABLE@', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'user')"/>
<param name="buffer" value="1"/>

<param name="commit" value="true"/>
<param name="quoteReplace" value="true"/>
<param name="throwableMaxChars" value="2000"/>
</appender>

I want to replace the hardcoded 'user' value in the created_by field with
the current user. Otherwise I can add a field for MDC/NDC in my table, as
you said, and get the user name in that field. How can I do that? I have
read that you can use %x in the conversion pattern and get the current user.
How is this possible?
Thanks & Regards
Merin