hi,

> So, you've verified that the "env." scope works to look up OS
> properties in Log4j?

i didn't exactly had this verified on the command line at the time of my last
post ;-)
and: no, it doesn't work :-[
not outside of ant, that is. shame on me.

> If this works, I guess I stand corrected on my
> previous statement where
> I said that this sort of thing wasn't recognized as anything
> special by Log4j.
> Or is it that the System class loads up all existing OS
> properties using the
> name of the OS property prefixed by "env.", so that it isn't
> anything special
> that Log4j is doing, but just a standard Java feature?

unfortunately this is not the case. it's just my ant build script which does
load the OS-specific environment variables, and prepends them with "env.". i
have no clue how ant is doing this, but probably it could be done your own
application as well.

bottomline: you have to pass the parameter to java with the -D switch like this
java -Dlog.dir=%LOG_DIR%

regards
patrick