Hello every body:
I am having some difficulties working with log4j, and I need some help from some one. I am writing a client/server application, in some way it can be compared with a chat client, where two or more users connect to the server through an applet. Now the applets uses classes from packages I wrote. The classes logges messages to no where (no logger is configured in them) I left the configuration for the main class, so that I can reuse those classes elsewhere. I am using a simple appender that I wrote, to display the logs in a JFrame. The problem is I am getting the logs from each applet displayed in it's own log JFrame and in the other one!! I am testing this on my machine, now both chat programs (applets) connect to the server. The first one logs the messages to both Frames !! And the second one does the same.

At the begining of each applet I used this:
logger = Logger.getLogger(this.getClass());
Logger.getRootLogger().addAppender(new FrameAppender(this,"Controller logs"));
logger.setLevel(Level.ALL);
BasicConfigurator.configure();

from what I understand, Logger.getRootLogger() is a static method, therefore the logger returned by it ( Logger.getRootLogger() ) is static, but static means for each JVM. In other words, both applets run in a separate JVMs, and there should be nothing shared !!!

Now, what ever was the reason, how do I get around this ??? Let's say My main class is called Chat.java , and it uses another class CustomSocket.java What i would do in CustomSocket.java, is instantiate an object of Logger through Logger.getLogger(this.getClass()), and logs my messages normally. Then the application that uses CustomSocket has to configure the logger (apender, Level ,....etc). How do I achive this. Please note that I am only newbie, and I am not looking to use configuration files. Just doing very basic configuration. If you need any more info about this problem, just please let me know, I 've included what I think is relevant.
Thank you.