Hi Matthias,

I would suggest to write your own appender that extends SMTPAppender and
implements the desired logic of gathering related log messages, and sends them
out when an error is received.

You'd probably want to implement some mechanism that restricts the amount of
context that is retained, to make sure you don't hog memory and don't send out
massive emails in case it takes very long for an error to occur.

Alternatively (and mind you, I can only guess what you're really after, so this
may not be applicable at all to your situation), if there are only very
specific circumstances where you want to collect only a very specific
combination of logging events, you may want to consider whether you are looking
in the correct place for a solution. Maybe, it's more practical (and more
"correct") to combine the information from these logging events in a single
event, basically for the same reason that you shouldn't spread a multi-line log
text over several log calls, but rather collect them in a single log call
(separate log calls may end up arbitrarily distant from eachother in log files,
(viewers, etc., ) depending on what else is logging to the same log - i.e. if
something logically belongs together, you should put it together in a single
log event).

Practically, this would translate into logic that says, issue an INFO level log
event when everything is OK, but issue an ERROR level log event when something
is up, which not only includes a statement that says something is wrong, but
also includes the information that you would otherwise have sent in the INFO
event).

Just something to ponder, maybe you prefer the solution of an extension of
SMTPAppender that keeps some context.

Regards,

Eelke