I have read all the documentation I could find on using an XML config file for
Log4J (slim pickings) but can not figure out how to log INFO messages to a file
that come from a specific package.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a file appender that I want to limit to:
 1.  info
 2.  by package name

My appender looks like this:
    <!-- ******************************************************************* -->
    <!-- Appender used for all JSF debugging -->
    <appender name="JSF.INFO.LOG"
              class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
        <param name="File" value="jsf.info.log"/>
        <param name="Append" value="false"/>
        <param name="ImmediateFlush" value="true"/>
        <param name="Threshold" value="info"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern"
                   value="%d %-5p [%t] %c %C (%F:%L) - %m\n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

The limiting categories looks like this:
    <!-- JSF Limiting Categories -->
    <!-- myfaces-api -->
    <category
            name="org.apache.log4j.xml"
            additivity="false"
            class="javax.faces">
        <priority value="info"/>
        <appender-ref ref="JSF.INFO.LOG"/>
    </category>

    <!-- myfaces-impl -->
    <category
            name="org.apache.log4j.xml"
            additivity="false"
            class="org.apache.myfaces">
        <priority value="info"/>
        <appender-ref ref="JSF.INFO.LOG"/>
    </category>

The idea is to have all INFO messages from org.apache.myfaces & javax.faces go
to a jsf.info.log file.

---
Here is the exception that I get what I get when I launch my servlet/jsp/jsf
container (running under tomcat)

log4j: Desired logger sub-class: [javax.faces]
log4j:ERROR Could not retrieve category [org.apache.log4j.xml]. Reported error
follows.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.faces

---
I have the javax.faces (jar) packaged in my web application (war), which is then
deployed to Tomcat (which is now configured to use log4j)

---
Also is is possilbe to specify that the log file should go under
$CATALINA_HOME/logs?

How do I specify in the XML file where the log file should go?

Thanks

Lisa