Try putting the log4j.xml in the working directory and not providing a
path (just the filename).  Also run with -Dlog4j.debug to see what
log4j finds.

On 1/23/07, Lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have written some JUnit tests and put them in the standard layout for test
cases under Maven.  The tests use log.debug(msg), log.info(msg) etc.

The tests run OK.

So now I created a simple log4j.xml file with an appender and a logger that
filters only the logging messages in my test case (by package).

When I run maven (mvn test), how do I tell it where my log4j.xml is and how to
use log4j logging?

I have tried everything.  I edited the "mvn" script under the install directory
to include the following:

 exec "$JAVACMD" \
   $MAVEN_OPTS \
   -classpath "${M2_HOME}"/core/boot/classworlds-*.jar \
   "-Dclassworlds.conf=${M2_HOME}/bin/m2.conf" \
   "-Dmaven.home=${M2_HOME}"  \
   "-Dmaven.junit.sysproperties=log4j.configuration" \
   "-Dlog4j.configuration=file:C:\tmp\log4j.xml" \
   ${CLASSWORLDS_LAUNCHER} $QUOTED_ARGS

this does not work (have tried with and without file:.

---
I have included a something similiar on the mvn command line:
   mvn -Dlog4j.configuration=c:\tmp\log4j.xml  test

this does not work (have included =file:c:\tmp... as well

---
I have also tried setting properties in the pom.xml like so:

            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <skip>false</skip>
                    <useFile>false</useFile>

                    <systemProperties>
                        <property>
                            <name>maven.junit.sysproperties</name>
                            <value>log4j.configuration</value>
                        </property>
                        <property>
                            <name>log4j.configuration</name>
                            <value>file=:c:\tmp\log4j.xml</value>
                        </property>
                    </systemProperties>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

---
and

            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <skip>false</skip>
                    <useFile>false</useFile>

                    <systemProperties>
                        <property>
                            <name>maven.junit.sysproperties</name>
                            <value>log4j.configuration</value>
                        </property>
                        <property>
                            <name>log4j.configuration</name>
                            <value>c:\tmp\log4j.xml</value>
                        </property>
                    </systemProperties>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

--- and  (log4j.xml is in same directory as pom.xml) this does not work either.

            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <skip>false</skip>
                    <useFile>false</useFile>

                    <systemProperties>
                        <property>
                            <name>maven.junit.sysproperties</name>
                            <value>log4j.configuration</value>
                        </property>
                        <property>
                            <name>log4j.configuration</name>
                            <value>log4j.xml</value>
                        </property>
                    </systemProperties>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

---
none of these work.  Any ideas on how to integrate Maven2, Log4J and Junit would
be greatly appreciated.

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/