both a
Logger and Level to be passed into the constructor and I'm a bit confused with
regards to the "Level".

#1 - I'm not clear on what this could represent besides logger.getLevel(), so it
seems redundant to me.  Granted, I am not an experienced log4j user.

#2 - If I do pass in logger.getLevel(), this code snippet errors out because
level
appears to be set to null.

#3 - Instantiating a new org.apache.log4j.Level() object doesn't seem feasible
for
reasons that I don't quite understand but probably are apparent to the more
experienced.

Below is the code snippet.  Does anyone have any ideas, or other experiences
trying
to accomplish this sort of thing?

Much thanks,

-Robin

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.OutputStream;
import java.io.PrintStream;

import org.apache.log4j.Level;
import org.apache.log4j.Logger;

/**
* An OutputStream that flushes out to a Category.<p>
* <p/>
* Note that no data is written out to the Category until the stream is
* flushed or closed.<p>
* <p/>
* Example:<pre>
* // make sure everything sent to System.err is logged
* System.setErr(new PrintStream(new
* JscLoggingOutputStream(Category.getRoot(),
* Priority.WARN), true));
* <p/>
* // make sure everything sent to System.out is also logged
* System.setOut(new PrintStream(new
* JscLoggingOutputStream(Category.getRoot(),
* Priority.INFO), true));
* </pre>
*
* @author <a href="mailto://[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Jim Moore</a>
* @see Category
*/

//
public class JscLoggingOutputStream extends OutputStream {

static Logger myLogger =
Logger.getLogger(JscLoggingOutputStream.class.getName());

 /**
  * Used to maintain the contract of [EMAIL PROTECTED] #close()}.
  */
 protected boolean hasBeenClosed = false;

 /**
  * The internal buffer where data is stored.
  */
 protected byte[] buf;

 /**
  * The number of valid bytes in the buffer. This value is always
  * byte data.
  */
 protected int count;

 /**
  * Remembers the size of the buffer for speed.
  */
 private int bufLength;

 /**
  * The default number of bytes in the buffer. =2048
  */
 public static final int DEFAULT_BUFFER_LENGTH = 2048;

 /**
  * The category to write to.
  */
 protected Logger logger;

 /**
  * The priority to use when writing to the Category.
  */
 protected Level level;

 private JscLoggingOutputStream() {
   // illegal
 }

 /**
  * Creates the JscLoggingOutputStream to flush to the given Category.
  *
  * @param log      the Logger to write to
  * @param level the Level to use when writing to the Logger
  * @throws IllegalArgumentException if cat == null or priority ==
  * null
  */
 public JscLoggingOutputStream(Logger log, Level level)
 throws IllegalArgumentException {

         System.out.println("we're in here...");
         System.out.println("we're in here...");
         System.out.println("we're in here...");
         System.out.println("we're in here...");
         System.out.println("we're in here...");

   if (log == null) {
         System.out.println("error 1");

     throw new IllegalArgumentException("cat == null");
   }
   if (level == null) {
           System.out.println("error 2");
     throw new IllegalArgumentException("priority == null");
   }

this.level = level;

   logger = log;
   bufLength = DEFAULT_BUFFER_LENGTH;
   buf = new byte[DEFAULT_BUFFER_LENGTH];
   count = 0;
 }

 /**
  * Closes this output stream and releases any system resources
  * associated with this stream. The general contract of
  * <code>close</code>
  * is that it closes the output stream. A closed stream cannot
  * perform
  * output operations and cannot be reopened.
  */
 public void close() {
   flush();
   hasBeenClosed = true;
 }

 /**
  * Writes the specified byte to this output stream. The general
  * contract for <code>write</code> is that one byte is written
  * to the output stream. The byte to be written is the eight
  * low-order bits of the argument <code>b</code>. The 24
  * high-order bits of <code>b</code> are ignored.
  *
  * @param b the <code>byte</code> to write
  * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs. In particular,
  *                     an <code>IOException</code> may be thrown if
  * the
  *                     output stream has been closed.
  */
 public void write(final int b) throws IOException {
   if (hasBeenClosed) {
     throw new IOException("The stream has been closed.");
   }

// would this be writing past the buffer?

   if (count == bufLength) {
     // grow the buffer
     final int newBufLength = bufLength + DEFAULT_BUFFER_LENGTH;
     final byte[] newBuf = new byte[newBufLength];

System.arraycopy(buf, 0, newBuf, 0, bufLength); buf = newBuf;

     bufLength = newBufLength;
   }

buf[count] = (byte) b;

   count++;
 }

 /**
  * Flushes this output stream and forces any buffered output bytes
  * to be written out. The general contract of <code>flush</code> is
  * that calling it is an indication that, if any bytes previously
  * written have been buffered by the implementation of the output
  * stream, such bytes should immediately be written to their
  * intended destination.
  */
 public void flush() {

if (count == 0) {

     return;
   }

// don't print out blank lines; flushing from PrintStream puts

   // out these

// For linux system
/*
   if (count == 1 && ((char) buf[0]) == '\n') {
     reset();
     return;
   }

// For mac system

   if (count == 1 && ((char) buf[0]) == '\r') {
     reset();
     return;
   }
*/
// On windows system

   if (count==2 && (char)buf[0]=='\r' && (char)buf[1]=='\n') {
     reset();
     return;
   }

final byte[] theBytes = new byte[count]; System.arraycopy(buf, 0, theBytes, 0,
count); logger.log(level, new String(theBytes)); reset();

 }

 private void reset() {
   // not resetting the buffer -- assuming that if it grew then it
   //   will likely grow similarly again
   count = 0;
 }

}