I guess it depends on the classloader used by these two apps.

For example: I have several webapps running inside tomcat (same vm) and they
use different log4j configs.
(from their respective WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties)

You could make then use the same log4j config and thus the same appenders
etc by
placing your log4j config file in tomcat/common/classes/ instead.
(then log4j will be configured by a classloader that is shared by all
webapps)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Maarten