Since the file is continuously changed it wouldn't be possible to have
a root element unless it is added as it is rolled.

On 2/28/07, Madduri, Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

As a part of our J2EE application, we need to build a custom Layout for
the logging event. The generated log file is expected to be very large.

The custom layout need not to conform to any DTD, but, needs to be a
well-formed XML with the root element.

I am using XPath expression on the XML string to get the proper output.

Right now, I have extended the Layout class to generate the output using
brute StringBuffer append method.

When I am trying to transform this file (which is not a well-formed
XML), the transformer complains that it is missing the root element.

Is it a better idea to tweak the XMLLayout to fit-in the custom content?

Here is a sample of the content that is in the log file:

<MSG><HOST>myHost</Host><STATUS>Response</STATUS></MSG>

<MSG><HOST>myHost1</Host><STATUS>FAIL</STATUS></MSG>

<MSG><HOST>myHost2</Host><STATUS>Unknown</STATUS></MSG>

If I can get this with a root element, the transformer works fine.

<ROOT>

<MSG><HOST>myHost</Host><STATUS>Response</STATUS></MSG>

<MSG><HOST>myHost1</Host><STATUS>FAIL</STATUS></MSG>

<MSG><HOST>myHost2</Host><STATUS>Unknown</STATUS></MSG>

</ROOT>

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Murthy Madduri

*(770)263-1231

*Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/