Quoting Chris Chappell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi
>
> I'm developing an app with Tomcat 5.5 and am trying to add logging to it.
> I've tried lots of things and none seem to work:
>
> I have code like:
>
> import java.sql.Connection;
> import java.sql.SQLException;
> import java.sql.Statement;
>
> import javax.naming.Context;
> import javax.naming.InitialContext;
> import javax.sql.DataSource;
>
> import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
>
> public class DBConnectivity
> {
>
>     org.apache.log4j.Logger logger =
> Logger.getLogger(myapp.DBConnectivity.class);
> //also tried org.apache.log4j.Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("MyApp");
>     logger.error("Hello");
>
> Eclipse reports an error for the .error line - saying:
>
> Syntax error on token "Hello" - delete this token
> Syntax error on token(s) misplaced contructs.

Exactly how does this have anything to do with Tomcat 5.5?  Sounds like you are
having an issue with Eclipse recognizing the Log4j library.  What you have
should work fine, though I would write it simply as...

private final transient Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(DBConnectivity.class);
logger.error("Hello");

Notice that I set the Logger instance as transient. Replace "transient" with
"static" if you want your logger to be static.  It's not so important if your
enclosing class is not Serializable, but if it is, you need to make sure that
loggers aren't serialized with the enclosing class because they are not
serializable.

Beyond that, I don't know what your issue is.  If this truly is an issue related
to Tomcat, you'll need to explain exactly how.

Jake