maxLogs isn't a value of that appender in 1.2.  You may be thinking of
RollingFileAppender or 1.3.

Don't put the pattern in the File value.
  <param name="File"
     value="logs/LogFile.log"/>

On 3/16/07, Andrew Marlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
James Stauffer wrote:
> There are no included appenders that can do that.  You could
> easily write your own appender to do that or use
> DailyRollingFileAppender to roll every hour and then have 6
> files for each "watch".

ok, but ...

The name of the file that gets created contains a literal 'yyyy-MM-dd-a'
rather than the actual date/time I expected. What am I doing wrong
please?
Finally, the program gives a warning at startup:
log4j:WARN No such property [maxLogs] in
org.apache.log4j.DailingRollingFileAppender.
What does this mean please? How can I make this problem go away?

> On 3/16/07, Andrew Marlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I am new to log4j so please bear with me. I am writing a program in
>> java that used to be written in C++. The C++ program used a
>> home-grown logger. I am trying to use log4j to do the logging. The
>> homegrown logger used to write 4 logfiles per day; the files were
>> considered as watches of a 6 hour duration (0000->0600, 0600->1200,
>> 1200->1800 and 1800->2400). It looks to me like I might be able to
>> use DailyRollingFileAppender to do a similar job.

******************************************************************************"
The data and information (collectively called Information) herein is the sole
property of ICAP.  The Information is confidential, may be legally privileged
and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution of the Information
is strictly prohibited and the recipient of the Information shall not
redistribute the Information in any form to a third party.  If you received
this Information in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and
delete all copies on your system.

References in this Information to ICAP are references to ICAP plc, a company
incorporated in England with registered number 3611426 whose registered office
is 2 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7UR and where the context requires, includes its
subsidiary and associated undertakings.  As applicable, certain companies
within the ICAP group are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.  Any investment research sent from ICAP will provide an impartial
and objective assessment of the securities, companies or other matters that are
the subject of their research and our Conflicts of Interest Management Policy
regarding investment research can be viewed by requesting a copy from your
usual contact at ICAP.  Please visit www.icap.com for further regulatory
information including details regarding the European eCommerce Directive.

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/