On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:31:29 -0400
 "Propes, Barry L " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
got this error upon startup for Tomcat when I added it to the common/lib dir.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apa
igester).

That's a good sign. It means Log4j is being used. Have you put log4j.xml or log4j.properties in common/classes? Make sure you define a root logger with an appender. I would set the level to something like "warn" so you don't get any debug or info messages from arbitrary loggers by default.

Jake

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 10:35 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: log4j implementation question

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:23:54 -0400
 "Propes, Barry L " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
also, Jake,

my commons-logging.jar file (NOT my commons-logging-api.jar, but just commons-logging.jar) is in the following dir. for me:

$TOMCAT_HOME\server\lib

should I throw in the log4j jar file in there as well?

Both need to be, specifically, in common/lib and the Log4j config file has to be in common/classes. But, again, I don't recall how this works with Tomcat4 which is what I presume you are using based on your use of Tomcat's FileLogger.

Jake