Bingo!!!

Paul, thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it. It works as
described. Now, I just have to make a few tweaks and I should be good to
go...:). Thanks again for all your help.

Kindest regards,
Misty.

On 6/29/07, Paul Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Next I'll work out how to get Chainsaw to replace the conusmer test
> as the client.

Success!  Here's the steps.

* Create a file that contains Receiver configuration for Chainsaw:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";
debug="true">
    <plugin name="jmsReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.net.JMSReceiver">
     <param name="JndiPath" value="/temp/jndi.properties"/>
     <param name="topicName" value="jmsappendertest"/>
     <param name="topicFactoryName" value="connectionFactory"/>
     <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>
    </plugin>
</log4j:configuration>

I put this in /temp/jmsreceviers.xml in my example.  Notice the
JndiPath value above?

* Copy the jndi.properties example I gave you in my very recent
previous mail.  Place that somewhere and make sure that the Receiver
configuration above refers to that exact path in the JndiPath
property.  If you're using Windows, you'll need to use forward
slashes.  e.g 'C:/temp/jndi.properties'.

* Launch Chainsaw via webstart link:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/webstart/chainsaw/
chainsawWebStart.jnlp

* Open up the Application preferences for Chainsaw:

    * Tick the "Ok to remove security manager".  This is needed to
allow Chainsaw plugins to work

    * In the Automatic Configuration URL preference, put the fully
qualified _URL_ of the receivers configuration (it's _not_ just a
simple path).
      e.g file:///temp/jmsreceiver.xml  (note the _3_ / here, 2 for
the url Schema, one for the root filesystem).

* Shutdown Chainsaw

* Copy the following jars:

    * activemq-core-4.1.1.jar

    * commons-logging-1.1.jar

    * jms-1.1.jar (the javax.jms jar, known as the 'spec' jar)

    * if you are using Java 1.4, you'll need backport-util-
concurrent.jar from here
        http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/

    * This JMS Chainsaw extension: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/
docs/webstart/chainsaw/log4j-jms-1.3alpha-7.jar

    Place ALL these jars in the Chainsaw plugins directory.  This is
in ${user.home}/.chainsaw/plugins (note the '.' in the chainsaw
bit).  In Windows the home directory is in c:/Documents and Settings/
<username>.

* Relaunch Chainsaw

It should now automatically load the jmsreceiver.xml configuration
file, start the JMSReceiver, which starts activemq through the Plugin
system and should connect to the ActiveMQ instance you had running in
the previous test.  If you run the Shell example I sent you earlier,
you should see the messages arrive in Chainsaw.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Paul