On Jul 4, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Mikael Ståldal wrote:

Norbert Toth-Gati wrote:
Concerning the :"log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [MAIN_LOG]." Please follow the link, as a similar problem is discussed: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ msg01365.html

I have read that thread, and it explains why the solution you proposed doesn't work. But it doesn't give me any working solution.

Yep, you cannot use root-element for that.

So what should I use?

Set root threshold to debug, attach both appenders to root. Write custom filters for your rules and attach the filters to the appenders.

We have back ported some filters from the log4j 1.3 development effort to the "extras" companion. It may be possible to use an ExpressionFilter, but I've never used it and someone would need help you with the syntax.