certainly it is true that the code for your own TriggeringEventEvaluator is
trivial. however my personal opinion is that being able to set the triggering
level is a requirement which is common enough to be implemented in the
SMTPAppender. e.g. setting it to FATAL because you only want to know when your
app needs a restart seems quite common to me.

however the patch (which i implemented for me when SMTPAppender was not yet
able to authenticate) is even more trivial it's 12 lines of code (setter and
getter plus *one* line of code that changes in the DefaultEvaluator) so i guess
it would be reasonable to include it.

best reagrds
patrick