On Jul 14, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Kenton wrote:

I'm getting this exception in my Struts application. It looks like a log4j exception (or is it a Tomcat/catalina exception?). Any ideas on how I can
get this resolved?

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.String.startsWith(String.java:1422)
        at java.lang.String.startsWith(String.java:1451)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.file(FileDirContext.java: 916)
        at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.getResource (WebappClassLoader.java:1181) at org.apache.log4j.helpers.Loader.getResource(Loader.java: 109)
        at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:105)
        at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:104)
        at

The exception occurs when log4j is trying to find either "log4j.properties" or "log4j.xml" to perform default initialization (can't be sure which one since your line numbers don't align with the current source). The resource names are stored in static final members. There are two possibilities that I see:

a) either Tomcat's app reloading mechanism result in the static final members being null and not the expected value. The null passed down through the Tomcat class loaders results in the NPE.

b) The expected value gets passed down to Tomcat and there is an implementation bug in Tomcat's class loader.

Looks like something Tomcat specific and you would have better like reposting on tomcat-user and specifying what version on Tomcat you are using and the conditions under which the exception is encountered.