On Jul 26, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Arthur Blake wrote:

You can't complain too much because it's open source and the
contributors don't get paid for it!  If you want a more comprehensive
manual, pitch in and write it yourself, or buy the commercial manual!

I've always thought that the short introduction to log4j at

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html

was very well written and more than adequate! It gets you up to speed quickly, and for those things you can't figure out there is the javadoc, the code, and the mailing list!

I think log4j is better documented than the average open source product. It's pretty well documented!

By the way, the short introduction is a little bit out of date now. For example,
it doesn't mention that log4j now FIRST looks for an xml file instead
of a properties file.

That one tripped me up recently.

You can file bugs against the docs and since we are hopefully soon to release 1.2.15, the sooner the better.

To build the forthcoming docs, install Maven 2.0.7 then

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/v1_2- branch log4j12
cd log4j12
mvn site

The site is generated in target/site

To modify the manual, edit src/site/xdoc/manual.xml and rebuild. When you have the change that you want, do

svn diff > bugname.patch

and attach it to a bug filed on the docs.

If anyone else wants to help on docs, please pitch in. The faq (src/ site/fml/faq.xml) might be a good place to add value.