On 14/08/2007, at 1:08 AM, Cheung, Quinn wrote:

Hi all,

I have several machines connected to chainsaw via Zeroconf & socketHubAppender. But there seems to be something strange happening with the list of connections shown in Chainsaw (see the attached image). 2 questions:

Unfortunately your screenshot was either stripped by the mailing list, or not attached (probably the former).

1) Why is it showing 2 entries for the connection named "socketAppender" - I don't have 2 instances running on that machine. Plus, it's showing the same port number for each of those 2 connections - there can't be 2 sockets open on the same machine with the same port!

There does appear to be a bug somewhere where the zeroconf detection creates 2-for-1. I've seen it myself a few times, but can't seem to reproduce it when I go to test and fix it. Could we be a synchronization bug not preventing duplicates for each zeroconf broadcast it receives.

2) How does it work for determining the name that's displayed under the "Zeroconf name" column? It seems to append a number based on the fact that the appender names are all the same, but why did it skip "socketAppender (4)" ?

The name that is displayed is based on the Appender name. So, if your ZeroConfSocketHubAppender is configured with a name property value, it should appear like that inside Chainsaw. I can't see any logic that appenders a number in the Zeroconf code.. Can you provide your log4j.xml|properties file that is configuring the appender side of things?

You can send me the screenshot direct to my email address if you like.

cheers,

Paul