I have an application using log4j and in the past I have just specified:
log4j.appender.file.File=logfilename.log

This would create the file in the location where the java app was launched.
This was in C:\program files\MyApp\logfilename.log

But windows vista doesn't seem to allow my program to write anywhere in
c:\program files.  I assume that log file is not being written at all now
because of these permissions.  Correct?

I guess my solution is to write the log file to a folder in the user's home
directory.  Is there a way to auto specify the user's home directory without
hard coding it?

thanks
-ryan

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today.