I have a JSF app, a struts app and a Servlet/JSP app running in the same
Tomcat 5.5 server. The JSF and Servlet app initialize and run log4j with no
problems. The Servlet/JSP app does not initialize log4j. I am running Tomcat
with -Dlog4j.debug set.

The init method of the initial servlet loaded on startup, the
log4j.properties file and the Tomcat stdout log are below:

init method

// props is the path to the log4j.properties file

PropertyConfigurator.configure(props);
Logger log = Logger.getRootLogger();
log.debug("Logger Works");

######

log4j.properties file

# Global logging configuration
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, stdout
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] - %m%n

######

stdout Tomcat log with -Dlog4j.debug set

----------> Parent Classloader:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.
log4j: Using URL
[file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%205.5/webapp
s/ecr/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties] for automatic log4j configuration.
log4j: Reading configuration from URL
file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%205.5/webapps
/ecr/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
log4j: Could not find root logger information. Is this OK?
log4j: Finished configuring.
log4j: Could not find root logger information. Is this OK?
log4j: Finished configuring.
(com.ecr.servlets.SetupServlet).

#######

My JSF and Struts apps have an identical copy of the log4j.properties file
as the Servlet/JSP app and it is located in the same place WEB-INF/classes.
And, all three apps are useing the same version of log4j version 1.2.8.

The only thing I can think of is that I am not initializing my Servlet/JSF
log4j correctly the same way JSF and Struts are. What do I need to do to
make it work?

Thanks,

Warren