On Jan 28, 2008, at 6:47 AM, James A. N. Stauffer wrote:

I'm not sure what you want but RollingFileAppender will make files
like what you want.

If you do need to write custom code, I would recommend writing a custom RollingPolicy for the org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender (o.a.l.r.RFA) in the extras companion (http://logging.apache.org/companions/extras). The o.a.l.r.RFA was designed to support pluggable RollingPolicies which provide the strategy for renaming files and TriggeringPolicies which provide the strategy for determining when to trigger files. It seems like you might just want to mix the FixedWindowRollingPolicy (which provides .1, .2, etc file names) with a TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy.