OK, Log4J isn't necessarily going to do what you want: if you want high
resolution timings you can use System.nanoTime and to make the timings
accurate, don't corrupt them by logging while you're timing...

long t1 = System.nanoTime();
function_n();
long t2 = System.nanoTime();

logger.debug("duration in nanos: "+(t2 -t1));

Regards,
Michael Erskine.