On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM, CheapLisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have six machines involved in a transaction (Identity Provisioning /
> Identity Integration).  In this scenario ata is sent from a hub out to six
> machines.
>
> I want to log information on the hub and the six machines in one place (a
> database residing on yet another machine).
>
> Is this possible to do?  I suppose the only thing really needed to do this
> is the ability for Log4J to log a message to a remote database.  Each
> machine would be logging messages with a message_id unique to that
> transaction so I could write a query to show me all messages for that
> transaction alone.
>
> I need the ability to log to all of the following databases: Oracle,
> PostgreSQL, Derby, MySQL

org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender seems to be the place to start.

Or SyslogAppender, with a centralized syslog server writing to a
database, but support for a good syslog/database bridge is somewhat
lacking. The specs for the relatively new rsyslog say it supports a
database backend, but some accounts I've read say that the rsyslog
system as a whole is still a bit raw. I have not used it myself. Not
log4j related, but I use syslog-ng with a mysql backend, but I have
not been pleased with the un-refined method used to get syslog records
into the database.

--
Jeff