On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
 lanes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Jake,

First thanks for your quick reply.

What do you mean ensuring each application will use their own respective configuration? Is it by reconfigure it using DOMConfigure / PropertyConfigurator explicitly inside each application?

Whether you manually configure using DOM or Property Confgurator or let Log4j auto-configure itself is irrelevant to whether each application will use its own respective configuration.  In the simple case, where no custom logger repository selector has been defined, it's all about classloader visibility and behavior.

If you use standard Java parent-first classloading behavior, then if an instance of log4j exists in a parent classloader that both app1 and app2 can see, then they will both use that instance of Log4j.  This instance of log4j will attempt to auto-configure itself upon the first loading of LogManager.class (triggered by any Logger.getLogger("somename") statement).  Usually one would put log4j.xml in the classpath alongside log4j.jar in the same parent classloader so that Log4j can see the configuration, allowing auto-configuration to succeed.  The point about manual configuration is that if you have multiple apps performing it, you will not only be overriding the default configuration but also changing for the configuration for a shared logger repository.  Each app that reconfigures will affect all apps sharing that logger repository.

After read your URL about logger repository, i'm quite surprise that the first line in the URL says : "Log4j, by default, uses a single logger repository. So, unless you log
within the context of your own custom logger repository, the last
entity to configure Log4j will have configured Log4j for every app
using the default logger repository."

well, that's why other application's configurations also affected after i configure my log4j inside my application.

Yep.  This is fundamental to understand when using log4j (or any logging utility, for that matter).

Jake

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Lanes